Applicants must be authorized to work legally in the United States and be at least twenty-one (21) years of age as of February 1, 2021. It is recommended that composers selected to participate reside in the Los Angeles area during the two-year initiative. If a composer resides elsewhere and is able to attend all scheduled in-person activities at Universal Studios, Los Angeles and surrounding locations that is acceptable. Entertainment industry experience is helpful but not required. The Initiative will not commence until current COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
We encourage those applying to review the FAQs carefully as they are designed to guide applicants towards a strong submission.
Those applying must submit a complete application package, which includes the following items:
- APPLICATION must be completed in its entirety. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- MATERIAL can be audio-only OR clips with picture sent via DropBox, SoundCloud, or WireDrive. Original music submissions (demos, mock-ups or proposals) composed by the applicant must demonstrate their unique musical style and capabilities. Running time must be a minimum of two (2) minutes and must not exceed 15 minutes for all materials submitted. The music link can feature multiple pieces from multiple sources/projects as long as it meets the minimum and maximum running time total. We suggest applicants submit samples as separate files as opposed to one long audio/visual reel consisting of several pieces of music. The applicant must be the sole composer of all original music submitted. We will not accept music with multiple composers attached. In addition to the music link, applicants must submit a PDF music cue sheet listing all music cues in the order they appear in the music link with the information below.
- Title of music cue
- Genre of music cue
- Year of completion
- Previous exploitations of material (e.g. if it was used in a Feature Film, TV project, Short Film, Video Game, Commercial, etc. If so please include the type of project, title of project, and distributor of project)
- Music publisher and performing rights affiliation (if any)
- Union affiliation (if any)
- U.S. Copywrite Office (write none if not applicable)
- RELEASE FORM must be completed, signed, dated and uploaded in order for submissions to be accepted. Incomplete release forms will result in disqualification. Download the release form HERE.
- RÉSUMÉ & MUSIC CREDITS must include the information below in this format.
- Pt 1 - Résumé
- Contact Information (e.g. name, address, phone number, email and/or personal website)
- Employment History - Include entertainment and non-entertainment positions in chronological order starting with most recent. Please list all music production credits separately and follow the “Music Credits” instructions below.
- Education & Training
- Commendations & Accolades (e.g. awards, published works, scholarships, etc.)
- Pt 2 – Music Credits (if applicable)
- Please list professional music credits in chronological order starting with most recent project
- Please include the following in each music credit:
- Title of project
- Year of completion
- Type of project (e.g. Feature Film, TV project, Short Film, Video Game, Commercial, etc.)
- Director or Executive Producer of project
- Distributor of project (e.g. studio, network, streaming platform, brand - if applicable)
- Role on project (e.g. composer, additional music scoring, orchestrator & conductor, recordist, etc.)
5. INCLUSION STATEMENT answering the prompt, "Please share an impactful life experience about what influences your perspective on diversity and inclusion and how you incorporate that into your music. Must not exceed 750 words."
6. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Optional) from entertainment industry professionals who have heard the applicant’s material and can comment on the applicant’s musical composition ability are strongly encouraged, but not required. Acceptable letters must be on business or personal letterhead, dated in the current calendar year and include the author’s title and/or industry affiliation. No more than two letters per application will be accepted. Letters must accompany the submission and may not be submitted separately via email or mail. Any recommendation letters emailed or mailed to the Program separate from the composer’s application will disqualify the application.
- Applicant must be authorized to work legally in the United States. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age as of February 1st, 2021.
- Applicant must be the sole composer of any music submitted. Material composed by more than one composer will not be accepted.
Any candidate who does not meet the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified.
Applications will be accepted now through August 23, 2020. Applications will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on August 23, 2020.
Due to the volume of submissions received, only those applicants who are selected to participate in the Program will be notified. Applicants who are not selected will not be notified. Please check our social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) for updates on the selection process. The selections will be announced in the Fall, with the Initiative commencing in November.